- FedEx and UPS are severely limiting deliveries. There are questions if labs (i.e. flow cytometry) will get to the laboratory in time. Couriers may only be delivering to a central location. If programs do not know that the sample is in this central location, how will they know to go and get it?
- Drivers are not entering hospitals/ birthing facilities, or hospitals/ birthing facilities are not allowing couriers inside
- Couriers are being funneled into one entrance at some birthing facilities, making pickups less convenient
- Work with the courier to change pick-up locations
- Provide a letter to birthing facilities indicating that couriers are performing an essential service
- Assign a hospital staff member to meet the courier at a specified location at a pre-arranged time to hand off newborn screening samples.
- Use lockboxes at problematic sites
- Adjust staffing based on delayed courier deliveries
- California has developed a letter for birthing facilities emphasizing newborn screening as an essential service and the importance of couriers to have access to all birthing facilities