Purpose: To determine the percentage of infants with an out-of-range newborn screen result requiring further clinical diagnostic workup by a health care professional, reported by disorder category.1,2
Screening Data for Denominators:
- i. Number of newborns, born in your state that received a dried blood spot screen whose specimen was received at your newborn screening laboratory.3
- ii. Number of newborns, born in your state that received a critical congenital heart disease (CCHD) screen.
- iii. Number of newborns, born in your state that received an early hearing detection and intervention (EHDI) screen.
- In the NewSTEPs Repository, state profiles will collect information regarding what screening protocols each NBS program uses for NICU infants.
- A list of disorder categories can be found in Appendix A: Glossary of Terms in the QI Source Document.
- All newborns for whom a specimen was received, whether acceptable or unacceptable should be included in this count. This does not include refusals, deaths or blank specimen cards.