Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) was recommended to be added to the Recommended Uniform Screening Panel (RUSP) in February of 2018.
NewSTEPs partners with state newborn screening programs, partner organizations and federal agencies to provide a central location for SMA resources. If you have additional resources that you would like included, pleace contact NewSTEPs.
SMA Newborn Screening Status: Map of the screening status of newborn screening disorders in the US.
Educational Resources: NewSTEPs has compiled educational resources that can be used to support screening efforts in states and regions. For all educational resources, pertinent publications and archived webinars please visit the NewSTEPs resource library and filter for SMA.
Advisory Committee on Heritable Disorders in Newborns and Children (ACHDNC) Recommendations:
- Chair Letter to Secretary (March 8, 2018)
- External Evidence Review Report (March 13, 2018)
- Deputy Secretary's Interim Response (April 13, 2018)
- Secretary's Final Response Regarding the Commitee's Recommendation to Add SMA (July 2, 2018)
- For information shared during recent ACHDNC meetings relative to SMA, please visit the ACHDNC meeting wepage.